Wednesday 20 October 2010

another few classical books I loved when I was a sprig,

This one Is called Not now Bernard, by David Mckee, Its abit of a dark and depressing story about a young boy that discovers a monster in his garden, Try's to inform his parents but they are too pre-occupied in their own business to even give Bernard the slightest bit of their time. The monster eats Bernards dinner, smashes his toys and eventually eats Bernard! even when the monster is in Bernards bed all tucked up with a glass of milk the parents are still oblivious to Bernards 'changed' appearance. Allthough it seems very sad, its actually not as bad as it seems, there are funny bits for instance when Bernard trys to tell either his mum or dad they reply 'NOT NOW BERNARD' which is repeated throughout the whole story.
I guess the book has a message that parents can easily get caught up in their own daily chores and overlook the needs of their children. However i loved this book when i was young and don't know anybody that doesn't like it. so read if you haven't allready.




















Alice in Wonderland, A classic English Novel by Lewes Carrol.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE NOT NOW BERNARD! & alice in wonderland has always been a favourite. I used to use the plot of the book as a game; pretending I'd been eaten to make my parents take notice!
    did you ever read The Tiger Who Came to Tea? That was a love of mine as a kid!

    mademoiselle xo
    Imperfect Item
    PS. I love your posts on childhood books; so I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks, and yes!!! ohh thats another i can post about, thanks alot! your my first lol xxx

    ReplyDelete